Vice President Marketing
Location: Bakersfield or Palm Desert, California
Sun World International is a California-based agriculture and technology firm engaged in fruit variety development, technology, intellectual property, and licensing. Technology and IP pursuits include a leading fruit breeding/genetics program, a broad-based portfolio of plant patents and trademarks, and investments in agriculture technology start-ups benefiting its global licensees. Licensing consists of sharing new proprietary stonefruit and table grape varieties, and the IP they comprise, with like-minded fruit growers and marketers in more than fifteen countries around the world. The Company prizes creativity, innovation, and an entrepreneurial spirit. Its people strive for excellence by demonstrating leadership, passion, kindness, authenticity, courage, initiative, and curiosity.
About the Marketing Department
The Marketing Department is responsible for promoting Sun World’s corporate, stone fruit and table grape brands while strengthening the relationships with its stakeholders – primarily through enhanced communications.
About the Opportunity
The Vice President of Marketing is responsible for ensuring Sun World remains synonymous with innovation in fresh produce and, more specifically, for developing the Company’s brand strategy and driving demand for the SUN WORLD® brand and its suite of fresh fruit varietals. The person in this position will be the principal champion of the Company’s global public persona with growers and marketers of its varieties as well as with retailers and consumers. The Vice President of Marketing will have rich expertise and deep experience in assessing and utilizing a range of traditional and novel tools and technologies. This includes, but is not limited to, trade shows, business-to-business media, sales and business development, collateral development, and relevant social media — with the objective of building demand and driving producer and consumer purchase intention for the Company’s varietals and supporting the demand-building activities of its licensees. Creative analysis, independent thought, and a proactive approach to adding value to the organization are key elements of this position.
Reports to: President & CEO
Positions Reporting to this Role: Senior Marketing Manager, Brand Ambassador, Marketing Assistant
- Works cross-functionally to identify and bring new fruit variety introductions to life while serving as the primary Company advocate for defining, segmenting, and positioning commercial product introductions and their brands in a creative, efficient, and compelling manner.
- Drives the development of communications and marketing strategies with primary responsibility for executing on those strategies.
- Manages all trade and consumer communications as well as business-to-business marketing activities and staff, with related responsibility for managing all external agency relationships. This entails designing and managing all brand marketing efforts, plans, budgets, and activities.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining all corporate identity efforts, internally and externally.
- Supports corporate communications efforts including trade, consumer, and business media management; production of company videos, presentations, and investor materials; and efforts to engage with consumers.
- Leads the Company’s sustainability communication efforts. Develops appropriate strategies to identify and communicate Sun World’s sustainability points of difference, and to report on its broader ESG accomplishments.
- Works effectively with management of all departments to understand and support communication needs.
- Bachelors’ Degree in marketing required; master’s degree in business preferred.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in trade marketing — ideally with proven history of working with and understanding the needs of fresh fruit or vegetable producers, marketers and/or retailers.
- Must have a keen sense of urgency and ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast paced, changing environment
- Detail-oriented with a strong sense of urgency
- Prior experience working in a resource constrained environment
- Track record of rapidly scaling a business
- Must have been part of a multi-functional leadership team applying marketing skills to the overall business (vs functional expert)
- Must have ability to professionally progress commensurate with the growth of the business and ultimately ascend to Chief Marketing Officer
- Private Equity experience preferred
- Functional Mastery – expert command of business-to-business advertising, promotion, social media and communications strategies, skills, and tools
- Self-Starter – Highly self-motivated, good reasoning abilities, sound judgment
- Curiosity – has a keen sense of curiosity; continual learner with demonstrated ability to bring insights to bear on the business in an effective manner
- Anticipation skills – ability to “see what is around the corner” and build capability ahead of need.
- Analysis – keen analytic, organizational, and problem-solving skills especially in light of PE environment
- Works well under pressure, meeting multiple and sometimes conflicting deadlines
- Effective management of others – demonstrated ability to supervise, motivate and guide others as well as to work in a team environment with the willingness to readily assume new responsibilities
- Excellent English communication (both oral and written), interpersonal and organizational skills
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to excellence
- Strong interpersonal, management, and leadership skills
- Technology savvy
- Superior PowerPoint deck development and polished presentation skills required
- Some domestic and international travel anticipated
- Periodic weekends and longer hours required on occasion
Interested candidates, please fill out the application form to send expressions of interest and a current CV to email@example.com