Table Grape Breeder
Sun World seeks a dynamic breeder to leverage our industry-leading pipeline and create the next generation of innovative products. The Table Grape breeder is responsible for breeding, evaluating, and selecting new seedless table grape cultivars for production in various growing regions around the world.
LOCATION: CENTER FOR INNOVATION, WASCO, CALIFORNIA
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
At the heart of Sun World’s business is a commitment to developing new fruit varieties that can be grown in a sustainable way and optimized for yield, flavor, and appearance. The Breeding and R&D program focuses on fast-moving technology and developing the next generation of fruit genetics to meet grower challenges and consumer expectations. The program is located at the Sun World Center for Innovation in Wasco, California -in the heart of San Joaquin Valley agriculture production. At Sun World you are part of a team that values passion, respect, and leadership to envision and create the future.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Sun World seeks a dynamic breeder to leverage our industry-leading pipeline and create the next generation of innovative products. The Table Grape breeder is responsible for breeding, evaluating, and selecting new seedless table grape cultivars for production in various growing regions around the world as well as varieties adapted for production in California’s San Joaquin and Coachella Valleys. The position will collaborate with Sun World Stone Fruit and Specialty Crop breeders to share methods and strategy, will work closely with Breeding and R&D teams to incorporate state-of-the-art technologies to deliver the breeding pipeline, and will partner with our Licensing, and Marketing teams to deliver industry-leading varieties in an accelerated timeline.
PERSONNEL SUPERVISED: Permanent and seasonal labor assisting in data collection
REPORTS TO: Chief Science Officer
WORKS WITH: Sun World R&D, Marketing and Licensing, Global Technical Services agronomists, and IP and Legal team
HOURS: Full time, 40 hours/week, Monday-Friday working nights and weekends as needed
- Reporting to the Chief Science Officer, lead the table grape breeding program based in Wasco, CA.
- Develop crossing plans and implement progeny selection and population evaluation of breeding trials in Central and Southern California with support for global test plot evaluation
- Obtain, propagate, and evaluate new varieties as parent material, maintain sufficient diversity and germplasm resources in breeding blocks and explore opportunities to introduce new or novel germplasm into the program
- Maintain digital records of plant/plot observations, crossing plans, discards, and related data
- Collect plant patent data, prepare, and submit patent applications to General IP Counsel promptly
- Prepare and analyze data for advancement meetings and early-stage advancement decisions and late-stage advancement recommendations
- Work cross-functionally to prepare prioritized lists of breeding and innovation targets for both qualitative and quantitative traits for specific market segments
- Partner with R&D and farming teams to coordinate budgets, research, and breeding needs
- Work closely with technical service and licensing teams to design, develop and communicate variety attributes and best management practices across global environments
- Effectively communicate the advantages and benefits of the Sun World pipeline to internal and external parties, conferences, and trade shows
- Host existing and prospective licensees and conduct periodic visits to foreign test and commercial production sites
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Degree in plant breeding or genetics; or Ph.D. in a relevant discipline with 3+ years in breeding and genetics; or Masters degree with 6+ years of plant breeding experience
- Excellent understanding of breeding strategy and methods for asexually propagated specialty crops
- Excellent organizational and communication skills in English, strong interpersonal skills and able to work in a diverse, multi-cultural environment
- Proven ability to foster innovation, influence, and collaborate with diverse, and global teams
- Knowledge and passion for both molecular and traditional plant breeding and the ability to successfully merge cross-disciplinary approaches to create successful breeding pipelines
- Experience with database management, Excel, statistical software, and analyses
- Knowledge and experience in field trial design and analysis
- Flexible and adaptable; able to be effective in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to work in a field setting
- Possess a technology and digital-first mindset
- Relocation with the ability to work on-site 100% of the time
- Available for domestic travel and the ability to travel internationally without restrictions
- Bilingual (Spanish) fluency or proficiency
- Experience breeding perennial/asexually propagated crops.
The position is regularly required to sit, use hands-to-finger, handle controls, and talk and hear. The employee is required to stand, walk, and stop. Employee must regularly lift and move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus, as well as work with a computer monitor and in the field.
For more information or to apply please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Sun World International is a global fruit genetics and licensing company headquartered in Bakersfield, California. At the heart of Sun World’s business is a commitment to developing new fruit varieties that can be grown in a sustainable way and optimized for yield, flavor and appearance. Sun World works with an extended range of fruit crops: table grapes and stone fruit (plums, apricots, cherries, peaches and nectarines) with our sight to improve other fruit categories as well. At Sun World you are part of a global team that values passion, respect, leadership, initiative, courage and authenticity to envision and create the future.