LOCATION: CENTER FOR INNOVATION – WASCO, CALIFORNIA
Global Technical Services (GTS) – is the team responsible for supporting Sun World’s licensed growers around the world in growing Sun World’s varieties. GTS’s focus is to help farmers around the world to exploit the full potential of Sun World’s varieties and increase their yields and quality performance. A section of the GTS – Applied Varietal Research – is focused on conducting applied research and trials on new varieties in order to develop info and solutions for Sun World growers around the world.
The Researcher will lead the agronomic evaluations and performance of new varieties produced by the Variety Development team at the Center for Innovation (CFI) in Wasco, California, evaluating potential problems, defects, and studying possible solutions through modification of agronomic practices (irrigation, canopy management, use of PGRs and other products, nutrition). The work will range from field production to post-harvest and it will be conducted on CFI trial plots as well as on commercial test blocks and plantings thru the San Joaquin and Coachella Valley.
PERSONNEL SUPERVISED: Permanent and Seasonal labor assisting in data collection
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Global Technical Services
HOURS: Full-time, 40 hours/week, Monday-Friday
- Evaluate production and post-harvest performance of new varieties at CFI test block, commercial test block and commercial vineyards/orchards throughout San Joaquin and Coachella Valley
- Evaluate defects and potential performance improvements through applied trials
- Responsible for trial design, data collection organization, trial analysis, evaluation and reports
- Strictly cooperate with the variety development team, conducting new varietal evaluation and analysis
- Assist VP and GTS global team in designing and evaluating trials performed in countries outside the US
- Assist VP/GTS in the production of technical recommendations and guidelines to Sun World growers around the world
- Contribute to GTS team improvement, agronomist training and continuous education
- 2-3 International travels per year to other production countries
- In conjunction with GTS/VP build and execute a medium-long term plan for applied research work at the CFI.
- PhD in Plant Physiology applied to viticulture and/or fruit industry or MS in Horticulture/ Viticulture
- Experience (3-5 years) in research, trial design, conduction and evaluation
- Exceptional skill in trial design, data collection, data organization, trial evaluation, and analysis
- Good knowledge of farming practices and procedures
- Ability to work in a team environment and willingness to initiate additional or new responsibilities readily.
- Motivated to build and develop a research program thru a medium-long term project
- Excellent English communication (both oral and written), interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Technology savvy.
- Post Doc experience in a research lab working in viticulture and/or the fruit industry
- Experience with variety phenotyping
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced, changing environment and be detail-oriented.
- Highly self-motivated, good reasoning abilities, sound judgment.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and commitment to excellence.
- Strong interpersonal, management and leadership skills.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: This position requires approximately 30% sitting, and 70% standing and walking. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. The employee spends a lot of time on the road and in the field. Lifting up to 15 kg is sometimes required. Equipment mostly used is a computer, phone, laboratory equipment, and field equipment such as backpack sprayers or other small farming tools.
For more information or to apply please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Sun World International is a global fruit genetics and licensing company headquartered in Bakersfield, California. At the heart of Sun World’s business is a commitment to developing new fruit varieties that can be grown in a sustainable way and optimized for yield, flavor and appearance. Sun World works with an extended range of fruit crops: table grapes and stone fruit (plums, apricots, cherries, peaches and nectarines) with our sight to improve other fruit categories as well. At Sun World you are part of a global team that values passion, respect, leadership, initiative, courage and authenticity to envision and create the future.