Tips on storing grapes to keep them fresher longer
Did you know that grapes stay fresh up to three weeks if stored correctly? To help you get the most out of your grapes – and your money – here’s some simple tips on how to store grapes at home for as long as possible.
- Check For Deterioration: Before storing your grapes for a lengthy period of time, be sure to check for signs of mold, shriveling, or poor stem attachment. Any grapes with these signs are likely to deteriorate faster and affect surrounding berries.
- Keep Them Cold: Like many other fruits, grapes are best kept in the refrigerator at 30 – 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Place them near the back of the refrigerator, as it is normally cooler. When storing grapes, be sure to store them away from odorous foods, such as onions and leeks, as grapes have the ability to absorb odors. Finally, be sure to store your grapes where they won’t be squished by your other food items.
- Keep the Original Package: Grapes are best kept in the original package you bought them in. In most cases, the container has the right amount of covering as well as ventilation to help extend shelf life.
- Store Them Unwashed: Grapes should not be rinsed off before storing them. Any extra moisture from washing will speed up the decay process. Simply remove what you need from its original package and rinse when you are ready to enjoy your grapes. For more information on how to properly wash grapes, see this How To Guide.
- You Can Freeze Them Too! To get even longer use from your grapes, freeze them to use later in a smoothie, in cocktails, or even as a cool, refreshing snack! Learn how to freeze your grapes here.
By following these tips, you’re sure to enjoy your grapes for weeks to come. You can also get the most out of your grapes by sharing them with your family and friends! Find Sun World grapes near you today.