Homemade grape juice is refreshing & healthy
Making grape juice is an inexpensive, healthy alternative to buying it at the store. It’s also a great way to enjoy the powerful antioxidants and other health benefits of grapes.
In order to make grape juice, you’ll need the following items:
- Large Pot
- Potato masher
- Sieve or cheesecloth
- Pitcher or large container
- To start, choose your favorite kind of grapes to use. (Try Sun World sweet black or red seedless grapes.)
- Remove grapes from stems and place into the colander or strainer.
- Wash the grapes using cool, running water.
- Pour the grapes into a large pot, and use the potato masher to crush the grapes and extract the juice.
- Cook the grapes on medium heat (around 150°F) for 10-15 minutes, reducing heat further if the juice begins to boil.
- Strain the juice over a pitcher or large container using either a sieve or cheesecloth.
- Return the juice to the large pot, add sugar to taste, and reheat at medium temperature until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the juice back into your container and refrigerate until cool. If you’d prefer to enjoy right away, pour over ice and serve immediately.
- If you find your juice too sweet or strong, dilute with lemon juice, apple juice, or seltzer water for the perfect homemade beverage.
If you don’t have time to make it “the old-fashioned way”, check out our simple homemade grape juice recipe for a cooking-free version.