This DIY black grape jam is sweet, slightly tart, and has a beautiful purple blue hue. All you need is grapes and sugar!
1 1/2 cups ripe black seedless grapes
3 cups sugar
- Wash grapes thoroughly.
- Squeeze the grape pulp out of the skins and into a stainless steel saucepan (a bit of skin residue is fine). Set aside grape skins for later use.
- Heat saucepan of pulp, covered, on medium heat until it reaches a gentle boil. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the grapes have broken down to a mush, remove them from the heat.
- Place a large bowl in the sink and set a sieve over it. Pour the grape pulp into the sieve pushing it through the mesh with a wooden spoon.
- Add the grape skins to the pulp, and place in saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally. While the jam is coming to a boil, warm the sugar in the oven at 150°F.
- Gradually add the warmed sugar to the grape pulp, stirring in one cup at a time. Bring the mixture back to a rolling boil and cook, stirring constantly. The jam is ready when it reaches 220°F and no longer has the consistency of a syrup.